So installing the zipper...... On the afternoon I finally attempted to install the invisible zipper onto the Ariel dress, I realized there was no way I could use the zipper foot I had bought at Jo-Ann's. For some reason, I failed to notice that it was a Vertical zipper foot (this was written clearly across the top). I still really do not understand what a vertical zipper foot is and if I can even use it on my machine but that is for another day. After doing some online searching about zipper foots and installing zippers, I came up with this bright idea to use a regular foot. Some people online said that it was possible to do. Well after breaking my first needle (which thankful I had spares), I successful got the invisible zipper installed.
|Pinning the first strip of the zipper.|
|Beginning my attempt to attach an invisible zipper with a regular foot...before the n||eedle broke.|
|One side finished...Can you tell that I sewed as close to the teeth as I could?|
|Practically invisible. :)|
|Sewing up the back seam.|
|Back seam completed!|
Here are what the straps looked like after the first attempt.
Here is what they looked like after I repositioned them. On a side note, I do not recommend using this type of ribbon. It unraveled horribly and I really had to reinforce the stitches in order to keep them from continuing to unravel. I recommend plain ribbon or material. Still they were adorable.
Here is the clasp!
Here is the finished product on the birthday girl!
This was a fun project for me as a beginner. I learned some great skills, such as hemming, gather, and inserting an invisible zipper. Stay posted as I begin to share more about the projects I have completed since this.