Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Half-Pint Purse

So two weeks ago, Create Kids Couture (CKC) released a FREE pattern on their blog for a doll size purse. It is adorable! With CKC's trademark ruffles!! So cute! In this post, they also refer back to another FREE pattern they had released on their blog in April for the same purse but in little girl size. Of course, I clicked on the link to see this post, knowing I needed to make the little girl size ruffle purse for my niece. Well two weeks later, I had the time to do just that. I thought I would share some pics of my little creation, and a little tip for using fat quarters to make this purse. :)

Here is a picture of my fabric choices and pattern pieces all ready to go! These fabrics came in one of those fat quarter bundles from Jo-Ann's. For some reason, I just really love owls right now. They are just so cute. My niece was wearing the most adorable ruffle shirt the other day that had a little owl on it. And today, at my great-uncle's memorial service, one of my little second cousins was wearing the same shirt! Now that I love them, I see them on everything! Were they always there, or am I just now noticing them??? haha


Here is a picture of my finished little girl size purse, which really is just the perfect size for a little lady.


I kind of think it is adorable! Maybe I am biased. :) Look how it stands up so nicely! Let's give a shout-out to the nice interfacing I used! By the way, this was my first time using Pellon 987.

Here is a pic of the inside.


I made a little rectangular pocket to add to the inside for a couple of reasons. First, I knew my niece would love a little pocket. Second, I just thought it would add a pop of contrasting color to the inside. I made the pocket with the same fabric I used for the ruffles. Oh and you even get a little glimpse of my labels, which were made by Sewnique Boutique!

Anyways on to my little trick, which probably isn't a trick and is probably something everyone knows. But just in case someone out there is newer to sewing like me, this may seem like a cool trick too! So the pattern calls for 1/3 of a yard of fabric for the outer and lining. However, if you cut the purse bottom out just a little differently, you can use those fat quarters. Instead of cutting this piece on the fold, you are going to cut two separate pieces, adding 3/8 of an inch to each piece. (Add the 3/8 of an inch to the edge where the fold would have been.) With right sides together and the edges (where the fold would have been) matched up, sew down the edge using a 3/8 inch seam allowance. Now you will have one piece and it will be the same length as it should have been originally, since we accounted for the seam allowance when we cut the pieces out. Repeat this with the purse bottom for the lining. Here is a picture of the bottom seam where the pieces are joined.



You know what else is great about this method??? If you are using directional fabric, your designs (my owls) will be facing upright on each side. So neither of the owls will be standing on their heads. ;) I have to say, I learned this trick from an amazing Paco Bean pattern!!! (Every Paco Bean Pattern is amazing though!) And by the way, if you want to make yourself a big girl purse, check out Paco Bean Patterns! You won't regret it!

Well this is my take on CKC's Child Ruffle Purse! Go check out their pattern and make one for a little lady in your life! And definitely check out their pdf patterns at the Create Kids Couture Store! I have bought several of their patterns and they are so easy to follow. I learn something new every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment